A message from the Artistic Director, Neil Jenkins
The school, the bursar, the staff and the Headmaster continue to make us feel welcome. Students have told us repeatedly that they like being in the middle of town, with easy access to banks, shops and ice-cream parlours! Several have been known to jog along the seafront in the early morning, and brave ones go swimming in the sea.
As you can see, we have updated our website for 2014 and there will be more additions to the site over the next few weeks (including information about auditions), so please check back! Otherwise, I hope you enjoy the site and we look forward to welcoming you in 2014.
If you would like to see some of Edwin Cowley‘s photographs taken at AIMS in 2013, email firstname.lastname@example.org for the login details.
Our 2014 Highlights
- Rachmaninov’s All Night Vigil, conducted by Stephen Cleobury, CBE
- Six fully staged opera scenes (and several semi-staged scenes) taken from Russian Opera, the great operas of Mozart and Verdi, and some lesser-known works
- Smaller vocal ensembles studying works by Handel, Haydn, Schumann and Tchaikovsky
- Stephen Cleobury will be taking a group through a repertoire of Spirituals, by the likes of HT Burleigh and Tippett
- Our Early Music tutors will prepare a semi-staged performance of Carissimi’s oratorio, Jonah
- On the lighter side, there is a performance of Offenbach’s La Belle Hélène, in addition to our ever-popular Parlour Music, Cabaret and Music Theatre offerings
What People Say
The standard was so high this year – but one of the most special things about AIMS is the mix of people. Some of the most moving performances I saw over the week in classes were from people who were relative beginners and just sang with such sincerity. We all have so much to learn from each other.
Thank you for running this wonderful course, which brings so much pleasure to so many, and is the highlight of the year for several, providing challenges and impetus, to keep us working hard on singing and improving during the year.
Next year will be my 10th AIMS – what started out as an interesting idea for a summer holiday seems to have become a way of life.
What opportunities for learning! You are providing us all, at all stages of our musical journey, chances to fulfil ambitions, delight, and achieve in an atmosphere of safety and support.