What is AIMS?
AIMS International Music School offers a week of fantastic singing classes, performance opportunities, along with concerts and social events. We have space for around 200 students, who come from all over the world, to work with Tutors and House Pianists from the top British Conservatoires and Opera Houses. The AIMS Bursary Fund is a registered charity, no. 1123905.
Who is it for?
Singers of all ages (18 plus) and abilities. We have courses for Solo and Choral singers, or you may like to opt for our Crossover course, which allows you to choose a mixture of classes from each. We also offer a course specifically for Piano Accompanists, with timetables tailored to specific areas of interest.
2016 Highlights included…
- Opening Gala Recital by internationally renowned bass-baritone, Stephan Loges, whose programme will include settings of songs by Shakespeare and Cervantes.
- Four staged opera scenes, directed by John Ramster and Susannah Waters, taken from works based on Shakespeare plays, as well as ten other semi-staged scenes.
- Our main AIMS Choir (in which all choral students are invited to sing) worked on Autumn and Winter from Haydn’s The Seasons, conducted by Nicholas Jenkins.
- Smaller vocal ensembles studied works including Vaughan Williams In Windsor Forest and Shakespeare part-song settings.
- Our Early Music tutors worked with students on a semi-staged performance of scenes from Purcell’s The Fairy Queen.
- Our Music Theatre students performed extracts from Kiss Me Kate and West Side Story.
- On the lighter side, Neil Jenkins worked with students to perform extracts from Gilbert & Sullivan’s The Yeomen of the Guard.
What people think
A hugely successful and well run course. Everything ran like clockwork, information and assistance was easy to access and everyone was very friendly and supportive.
You have done something very special in reaching out to such a wide spectrum of singers of all tastes, abilities and ages. Most important is the warmth and friendship fuelled within such a week together.
The technical input we get always hits the spot. We hear so many singers voices get transformed and everyone is so encouraging, kind and patient.
What a sublime week of singing, laughter and discovery!
The college is a great place to be and very beautiful but it’s the people that made it the amazingly warm and supportive atmosphere that was so wonderful to be part of.